So, my OLPC XO has been sitting on top of a bookshelf gathering dust for the past 2 months. Besides the low WAF, the device, in its current form just isn't useful for me. This is less a criticism of the XO than an admission that I am not the target demographic.
That said, I would like to actually use the thing again. My primary issues with it, as is, are (off the top of my head):
- No battery life management (I can't make it sleep - I have to turn it off)
- Browser (90% of my use) is kludgey
- I strongly dislike the Sugar interface in general
- The e-book format buttons are not currently useful - I want to browse the web in e-book format, can't do that now
- ..and of course the neon green which my wife hates. (I guess maybe I could paint it...)
That's why I welcome the news that MS is introducing a version of Windows for the XO. It's hard NOT to improve on what's there at present.
But of course, time will tell whether a) I can get it, and b) it'll be any better.